Jan 22, 2019 | 3 Mins
Bookmark this blog
Home chef Geeta's recipe for Koli-style Prawns Sukka. Check out details details regarding her meal experience in Louiswadi, Thane here
Although the Koli community is an integral part of Mumbai (the people are the original inhabitants of the city), not much is recognised or known about their cuisine or culture. The seafood-centric cuisine boasts of exceptionally unique dishes flavoured with homemade Koli masalas. Check out home chef Geeta's recipe for making Koli-style Prawns Sukka at home!
500 gms Prawns
1½ tbsp Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilli, Coriander Paste
2½ tsp Koli Masala
½ tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1 tsp Garam Masala
Oil, as required
Salt, as required
Coriander, for garnishing
1. Wash and de-shell the prawns, keeping the head and tail intact. Carefully devein the prawns and wash thoroughly.
2. Finely chop the onions and tomatoes. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and saute till translucent in colour. Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
4. Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir it well for half a minute (if required, add a dash of water). Mix in the turmeric powder and koli masala.
5. Add the prawns and mix it well with the other ingredients in the pan for 2-3 minutes. The tamarind paste and garam masala goes in next. Cover and let the dish cook till the prawns are done.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.