May 11, 2020 | 4 Mins
Bookmark this blog
Popular throughout Kerala, Vegetable Stew and Appam is a favourite combination especially for breakfasts. Made with lots of vegetables, the stew is healthy and nutritious and goes perfectly with soft Appams. Luckily for us, Authenticook home-chef Lejna makes it really easy to try out this recipe from the comforts of our home. Below is the complete recipe. To check out the step-by-step recipe video, visit our YouTube channel here.
Do try out this recipe, let us know how it turns out and do share this blog with your loved ones. Also, do let us know if there are any recipes you would like to share; we would love to put them up on our blog and social media channels. Let’s celebrate our diversity, one beautiful recipe at a time!!
Hero ingredients you definitely need to try out this recipe:
For Appams: Rice, Grated Coconut
For Vegetable Stew: Coconut milk, pepper and other spices and a whole lot of vegetables
Raw rice - 2 cups
Cooked rice - ½ cup
Grated coconut - ½ cup
Instant yeast - ½ tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
1. Soak the raw rice for 5-6 hours. Wash thoroughly and grind alongwith the cooked rice, grated coconut and yeast into a free flowing consistency.
2. Add sugar, mix well and keep the batter aside to ferment for 8 hours or overnight (preferable).
3. Once the batter has fermented well, add in the salt and keep it aside for half an hour for the batter to start frothing.
4. Heat a tawa or appam pan, take one ladle of batter, pour it into the hot pan and swirl it. You can see the lace being formed because of the well fermented batter.
5. Close the pan and cook the appam for 5 minutes or until the middle portion is cooked.
Potatoes (cubed) - 3
Carrot (cubed) - 1
Peas - ¼ cup
Onion (sliced) - 1
Green chilly (slit) - 1
Ginger (chopped and crushed) - 1 inch
Whole pepper (crushed) - 1 tsp
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Coconut (grated) - 1 ½ cup
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - As per taste
1. Put the vegetables along with ginger, pepper, cloves and cinnamon in a pressure cooker, pour in 1 cup of water and cook for 15 minutes or 4 whistles.
2. For extracting the coconut milk, transfer the grated coconut to a mixer jar, pour in ½ cup water and grind it.
3. Sieve the coconut paste and extract the first coconut milk which will be thick.
4. Pour ½ cup more water and grind the coconut paste further, sieve the paste and extract the second coconut milk.
5. Once the cooker releases its steam, open the lid and pour the second milk to the cooked vegetable mix, cook it till it thickens a bit.
6. When the mix is thickened pour the first coconut milk extract and off the stove.
7. Pour in the oil and garnish with curry leaves.
About Lejna: Starting her culinary journey after marriage, Lejna loves sharing her recipes with everyone. She prefers using freshly pounded spices, traditional utensils and ingredients to preserve the taste of the recipe. Along with traditional Kerala cuisine, Lejna loves trying her hand at making recipes from various regional cuisines and experimenting with them.